Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Coming Full Circle

After posting the article about the almost 11 ounce glass, I decided to get myself a beer.....I have two tasting glasses that I got from a tasting event that I volunteered for a few years ago, and as of late I have been using them for most of my beer drinking despite the fact that they do not hold a full 12 ounce bottle of beer.  This got me wondering how much they do hold....so I filled the glass with water, and poured it into a Pyrex measuring cup.  The total volume is somewhere between 10 and 12 ounces.  Precisely a schooner of beer.  Lo and behold!  I own two schooners!

These glasses, which I have been calling a half pint, have been part of the reason that I have desired building a keg system.  I would prefer to pour myself this volume over a full pint, and therefore, am wasting a few ounces of beer (not that I don't drink it, so not exactly wasted, but a few ounces of beer less desired) each time I open a bottle.

So, I come full circle and wholeheartedly endorse the Schooner as a unit of beer measure in British Pubs....interestingly, with a nice head (which is hearsay in British Pubs), the Schooner actually holds about 1/2 Imperial Pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment