Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Next Move

I have been obsessing over our latest Oktoberfest from afar.  It has been quietly sitting in my brother's basement windowell for nearly 3 weeks.  And in all that time my brother hasn't observed any sign of fermentation from the blow off tube.  That is not to say it isn't happily (albeit slowly) fermenting away in its dark, sugar rich environment....it is just that I can't see it.  The switch to a closed keg fermentation from two carboys makes the process much safer and involves less to clean, but it doesn't give a nice view of the action.  Couple that with the fact that the yeast pack wasn't fully raging when we pitched (and the yeast themselves were 4 months old), and it has me way beyond curious to the point of neurotic.

If it was at my house, I am pretty certain that I would have stuck my nose in it to see what I could.  But it is probably just as well that it is living with a far more patient person in my brother.

At any rate, in the next few days he will bring it inside and warm it up.  We should see some signs of life then.  If we don't, well, then we have a problem.

If we killed it somehow, we can always re-brew it...it isn't like we have financial or some other skin in the game.  I just act like it.

Anyway, my kitchen remodel is almost done, and except for paying for it, I should be able to start worrying about brewing again.


No comments:

Post a Comment