Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Indifference

I have to apologize to my regular readers (all 5 of you) for not posting much for a little while.  I have been keeping myself busy with visitors, home improvement projects, and a few brewery equipment projects and acquisitions.  In the meantime, I have not found time to brew like I thought I would, and my stock pile has run rather low.


Also, interestingly, I have basically stopped drinking commercially produced beer, meaning that the only beer I have been drinking has been my own.  Instead of telling you how great or terrible my own beer is, I thought it would be best to give it a rest, and shut up and drink, so to speak.  I haven't changed my habits for any other reason except that I tired of going out for a beer, and would just prefer something I brewed anyway.  Lastly, with all of my acquisitions, I need to conserve money and get myself brewing again.


The last part is that I have begin feeling a real indifference to the world of craft beer.  I am feeling that all the buzz of brewing is focusing on the next bigger (literally) and better (figuratively) thing.  Beers with ABV's approaching that of distilled spirits, double everything, over-hopped monsters, Belgianizing of every type of beer, and oak aging anything.  I am not sure that it is a healthy focus for the industry, and am wondering if others are feeling as burned out as I.  My focus is returning to simple ales.  I don't care what is new, if new means ever increasing complexity.


I have been interested lately to speak to people who are not interested in or don't like craft beers, and I have found some interesting examples in my own family and neighborhood which I might explore a little more at some later time.


For the time being, it is fully summertime.  Time to mow the lawn and afterwards relax in my little garden with a beer.  I also need to get some pictures of my new projects posted.  I am just so lazy at this time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment