Sunday, January 24, 2010

Too Much Reading

I have been pursuing a lot of projects in my brewing hobby as of late, which translates to a lot of research and reading.  I have been researching grain mills (along with my justification).  I have been researching upgrading my primary brewing equipment, moving towards a recirculated infusion mash system (RIMS).  I also received a copy of Charlie Papaazian's Microbrewed Adventures for Christmas that I just finished.  I have also been going down to the Denver Public Library's Western History Library, doing research on Denver's Pre-Prohibition brewing scene.  As a result, I am currently reading a coffee table book by Bill Yenne called The History of Beer in America.  I have also been reading up on our next brew scheduled sometime in early February (a window well Oktoberfest).  I don't know why I am compelled to read and study so much on this hobby.  I have always been this way.  


When my wife and I were poor graduate students and I was investigating starting this hobby, I read, and read, and read, and read, and I guess I would talk incessantly about it because finally my wife told me to go buy the brewing kit already, and leave her alone.  So, finally, I did.  That was 1994.  I had worn out most of my equipment and replaced select items to go for all grain brewing over 5 years ago.  And now, it is time to upgrade, and so I read and obsess.


Meanwhile, I have an empty carboy and two filled with our Festivus Ale that need to be bottled.  These things are also nagging me.  The brewery is scheduled to transfer to my brother's house for a while, so I shouldn't brew right now anyway, although, I have been thinking of sneaking in a quick beer this week.  If I were to do this, I would need to go buy the stuff today, get it brewed on Tuesday, and bottled by next Tuesday at the latest.  I think I need to let this opportunity pass.


I need to buy the mill, however, but have been waiting until February.  I need to not buy anything else until we get a few brews down with the new milling equipment, anyway.  So, I read.  If I find anything of interest about  Pre-Prohibition Brewing, who knows, I may have a book brewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment